Written by: She Evolves
When we start exploring our sexuality as young adults one of the first things that most of us think is that sex is the only kind of intimacy there is. However intimacy is not just about sex. It is about so much more. Whilst there are pressures that come from our peers and everything on TV, newspapers and magazines, it is important to know that sex is not the end all and be all. In fact if you ask me, it is the least intimate thing you can do with a person.
When you think back to your most intimate moments in life with friends, or family even, there was no sex involved. Which comes to show that sex is only one way to be intimate. Here are some of my tips for being intimate with your partner without having sex:
- Touch one another: This may sound like I am leading you to sex but I am not. The human touch is one of the most important and sensual things we can experience. Which is why, when we are sad, or even happy, we tend to hug one another. So instead of touching each other for arousal, try touching each other in an intimate and caring way. This means just holding one another with no expectations of sex.
- Hold hands: Holding hands allows you to maintain closeness and intimacy in your relationship without having sex. It can also provide a sense of protection and feeling loved. And you can hold hands in public too which is an added bonus.
- Communicate: Talking is essential in relationships and the best way to do this is to keep the channels of communication open at all times. Talk about your dreams and aspirations. Have conversations bout your day and other things that concern the both of you and that you are both interested in. Communication is not only important in strengthening your relationship but also in making sure you are on the same page.
- Spend time together: Whilst I mentioned communication as an important form of intimacy, sometimes, the best communication is saying nothing. Just sitting together while you do your own things can be very intimate. So find time to be together whether its lying in bed, or just sitting in the same room.
- Do a sport or activity together: Each of us is so layered and varied, which is why getting to see different sides to your partner can be very intimate. This can be done by doing a sporting activity together. You will not only get to share an experience, but learn about each other in a different environment. For my husband and i one of the things we have always loved doing is going for hikes together. We have the best conversations and get to really connect in a way we don’t often get to do.
What are some ways you like to be intimate?