You know the feeling you get when you walk into a fancy hotel or shop? Well since we have all been pretty much stuck at home for the past few months. Getting to go to “nice” places has been a thing of the past. Which is why I have been focusing on making my home and space feel a little more luxe. What is luxe you ask? Simply put it is luxurious, fancy and just expensive looking. And whilst I would like to say I have an unlimited budget, I do not. Which means I often have to take a few short cuts when it comes to achieving this look and feel in my home. Here are 6 ways I have found that make my space feel fancy, cozy and hotel like.
- Add flowers: Flowers are the simplest way to elevate any space. And you don’t even have to go with the real deal. Pick up some good life like faux flowers and you are good to go.
- Candles: Something about lighting a candle at the start or end of a day can make any space feel that much more special. I love collecting candles and placing them around the house. Lately I have started lighting one in our bedroom, and one in the bathroom. It gives off a soothing effect. And makes the space smell divine.
- White sheets: As one of those people who loves sleep (who doesn’t?), nothing feels more luxurious or appropriate than white crisp clean sheets. In our house we even get excited by “clean sheet day”. Which is the day we change the sheets on our bedding. White sheets are great as they can be mixed, matched and layered with so many accent colors. They also give a hotel feel. And make a room feel grown up.
- Declutter: With a one year old running around, it feels like I am always picking up her toys or vacuuming our apartment. But if there is one thing I have noticed is that my work is not in vein. Not only does having a tidy and clutter free space visually appealing. It also can help the space feel luxurious. Just think of all the homes you see in magazines and on TV. Most are styled well. But they also don’t have a lot of clutter or random stuff lying around. Personally I like tidy our home once every second day for 30 minutes each. This includes dusting, vacuuming and just removing all clutter. On days when I don’t do a full tidy, I make sure to open all the windows (even for just 10 minutes to let some fresh air in), and make all the beds in the house.
- Add plants: Nothing is more inviting than having plants in your home. But if you struggle to keep yours alive, fear not.There are many affordable, life like options out there. Even just the illusion of greenery is great for making a space look more considered.
- Hang art: Art is one of the best ways to showcase your personality. With so many prints available, you just cant go wrong. From large scale pieces to smaller ones. One thing I also recently learnt is to vary your art. Check out flea markets and second hand stores for statues, painted art works and photographs to give any room depth and personality.