Written by: Phindile Le Bris Sithole-Spong
During the first lock down in France, it was almost impossible to find alone time from my family as I’d just given birth and my husband and I were taking care of our new born baby. In the rare moments that she was asleep, we tried to spend time together or get in some sleep ourselves. However months have now passed and even though we have gone into a second lock down things are looking a little different. In part because our new born is now an active seven month old who spends 4 half days with a nanny and other babies going to the park and playing even with lock down restrictions. This has meant that even though my husband and I are working during those times, we do also make a point to spend time alone.
For me alone time often looks like taking a long bath, working out, browsing the internet or even just watching my favorite tv shows uninterrupted. And whilst we both relish time alone we also make it a point to have dinners and lunches at the table so we can connect as a couple. Here are some things I’ve learnt about the importance of alone time;
- It allows me time to destress
- It helps me focus on myself and helps me to slow down
- It ensures that I am able to do things I love
- It’s been a great way to reconnect with myself and check in on my emotional well being
- Its helped me appreciate time that I do spend with my family as I feel rested instead of overwhelmed.
What are some things you like doing alone? And do you think alone time is important?