Written by: Phindile Le Bris Sithole-Spong
Part of being a new mother, is thinking of all the little moments you want to witness with your little one. Things like first steps, first day of pre-school, first bicycle ride and so much more. But as I started to think of all the firsts I will get to witness, I also thought about how I needed to be there to witness them. This means doing my part to ensuring I live long enough to witness all my daughter’s milestones. Whilst I consider myself pretty healthy, I still think there are ways to become healthier and more conscious without starving myself or taking the fun out of life. These are changes that anyone at any budget can implement at any time. Here are some small changes I’ve made to be healthier;
- Move my body everyday for 30 minutes or more. This can mean taking a walk, or doing some light yoga. What ever it is, it helps clear my head and get me away from my desk or the couch.
- Drink more water. I know I say this a lot but water really does help with so many things and is readily available to most of us.
- Talking it out. I have to say as someone who has had a rollercoaster year. Most of what has helped me is talking it out. Usually to friends, or family. But I am also looking to get a therapist to help with my daily stresses and anxiety.
- Meditation often gets a bad rep because we think of meditation as just sitting still and thinking about nothing for hours. But meditation can be anything that gets your emotional and mental state aligned. This can be journaling, sitting with your thoughts or just being present. Anything that takes you away from your phone and distractions and helps you to focus inwards.
- Whilst we all breathe every single day, sometimes when stressed our breath is shallow. Which is why when I find myself overwhelmed or stress. One of the first things I like to do is take a few deep breaths.
- Having a nice hot bath with epsom salts and essential oils.
What are some ways you take care of your mental, physical and emotional health?