Written by: Phindile Le Bris Sithole-Spong
There are very few things we love in our house as much as we love slow and low scrambled eggs. In part because they are so easy to make but also because they are so tasty. That is of course if you happen to get some really good eggs. One's with an orange yolk and lots of goodness. Which is why when I was thinking up Valentine's day breakfast recipes, these came to mind. Partly because it is my husbands favorite breakfast meal. But also because they are so damn easy to put together and super good for you. Add some spinach, trout and tomato and you are ready to take on the day.
What you will need:
4 sliced of toast of your choice (I like ciabatta, whole wheat or even a bagel)
A good knob of butter
Half a tomato
1 cup of spinach
A few slices of smoked trout
A squeeze of lemon
Teaspoon of freshly chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your slow and low eggs by putting a cast iron (or other thick pan) onto medium heat stove. When hot add the butter and allow to melt.
- Whilst butter is melting whisk the eggs in a bowl
- Add the eggs to the melted butter and start whisking. Ensure to turn the heat to the lowest setting and continue to whisk slowly for about 8 minutes.
- Remove eggs from the heat and add chives, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Compose your sandwich by placing some chopped spinach on each slice of bread.
- Follow this up with a slice of tomato and your smoked trout.
- Squeeze some lemon juice onto your trout and top off with a tablespoon of eggs.
- Serve immediately