Written by: Phindile Le Bris Sithole-Spong
As a South African living in Europe, I was pleased when I heard that the South African borders would be open in time for me to go home for the holidays. Not only because I, like many people, have not seen my family in over a year. Furthermore, as I gave birth at the beginning of the pandemic, many of my close friends are yet to meet my daughter. So whilst I had wanted to stay put for the holidays, it was important for my family to meet my daughter before she turned one. Especially as there is no clear end in sight. This however means that I will be taking some precautions to keep myself, my family and anyone else I come into contact with safe. Here are some tips I have read about and will be implementing before, during and after my travels.
- Stocking up on Vitamin C & Zinc: Whilst this combination does not in any way stop you from contracting COVID, the combination has been shown to help with common colds and keeping you healthy. Especially as I will be leaving from Europe where it is currently winter.
- Drinking golden latte: I first introduced to golden lattes from a website I followed and I was instantly intrigued. Not only is turmeric that is found in golden lattes known to be a natural anti inflammatory. But it is also a great way to give the immune system a boost.
- Wear a mask: When it comes to COVID this has been shown time and time again to help prevent the spread of COVID as well as protect you from getting it. This is why I will be carrying a ton of masks for myself both in my hand luggage and in my purse.
- Carry hand sanitizer: The CDC recommends using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol when traveling. Which is why I am stocking up and using it every hour or so whilst flying and traveling.
- Avoid touching my face: Whilst I have already been practicing this since the pandemic started. I will continue to keep my hands off my face as much as possible.
- Test before flying: This is a requirement before entering most countries and one that I am more than happy to follow.
- Self isolate when arriving at destination: Whilst I would love nothing more that to see my loved ones immediately after arriving. I plan instead to self isolate and then get tested again a few days after arriving to be on the safe side.